It is a federal government research university, It was established by the University of Lagos Act of 1962 on Oct. 22, 1962. The establishment of UNILAG can be traced to the recommendations of Ashby Commission of May 1959 and UNESCO advisory commission of 1961.
UNILAG was the winner at the Nigerian university system annual merit award (NISAMA) in 2008 UNILAG has 14 academic unit, which consists of 10faculties, 3schools and 1college. The college of medicine has pharmacy, clinical sciences, dental sciences, and basic medical sciences. In addition to the academic units are; Centre for human rights and Centre for African Regional Integration and borderland studies.
There are 15 halls of residence in UNILAG. 13
undergraduate halls and 2 postgraduate halls. 6 male undergraduate halls and 7 female undergraduate halls.
UNILAG has 29 service units, which are; dean of students affairs, medical, sports, bursary, registry, internal audit, consult, ventures,
bookshop/press, parks, guest house, central industrial and liaison placement (CILPU), radio, auditorium, zoo/biological garden, lagoon front, pharmacy, advancement, academic planning, guidance and counselling, estate, media and corporate, works, hydraulic research, alumni relations, legal, security, records, quality assurance and servicom.
There was an attempt of the institution name
change by President Goodluck Jonathan on May 29, 2012.
UNILAG started operation with 3 faculties in
1962. The faculties are; Commerce/business Administration, later change into; faculty of business and social studies. Law, Medicine.
In 1964, faculty of arts, education, engineering and science were established.
131 students were admitted in 1962.
UNILAG held the first academic lecture on Oct. 3, 1962 for the medical students while the faculty of law and Business administration started on Oct. 22, 1962 at a secondary school at Idi-Araba.
The university moved to Akoka in Sep. 1965.
The UNILAG decree of 1967 created the following;
A single council for the university
Medical school changed to college of Medicine.
Faculty of business and social studies into school of administration and social studies.
Federal Advanced Teacher’s College became the UNILAG college of education
The institute of Computer Sciences and Mass
Communication were established in 1967 and began operation in 1968
The institute of child health was established in 1969.
In the early 1970s, the university was structured into;
Faculty of law and engineering
College of education and medicine
School of biological sciences, mathematical/
physical sciences, environmental design, social studies, administration, humanities and African studies.
UNILAG adopted the faculty system with only college of Medicine on June28, 1973.
The UNILAG amended decree of 1975 re-designed the college of education into faculty of education. Other faculties are; arts, business administration, environmental design, science and social
sciences. The school of Postgraduate studies also called the lagoon lighthouse was established on July22, 1981.
In 1984, federal University of Technology,
Abeokuta (FUTAB) was merged with UNILAG.
The international school of Lagos was established in 1981
The UNILAG senate house was completed in 1984
The UNILAG radio (103.1) was established in
Quality assurance/servicom unit was founded April 2012
UNILAG endowment fund was founded in 1972
UNILAG endowment fund was re-launched in Nov 1987
UNILAG endowment fund was re-launched in Feb 1992
UNILAG endowment fund was re-launched in
The UNILAG Alumni association was launched in 1970
The Alumni relations office was established in 1977
The works/physical planning unit was established in May 1982
The endowment unit and Alumni unit were
merged in 1989 into Alumni & endowment unit. They were later separated in 1998. It was later merged and renamed as development office in 2003.
The development office changed into office of advancement in 2009
Estate unit formerly parks/gardens was
established in 1981
Internal Audit became part of the bursary unit in Nov 1965
Media and corporate affairs unit was created in 1997.
ENI NJOKU (1962-65)
Born Nov. 6, 1917 (Abia)
Dean of science, Uni-Ibadan
Chairman, Electricity Corporation of Nigeria in 1956 VC, UNN (1966-67)
SABURI OLADENI BIOBAKU (1965-71)—Historian
Born June 16, 1918 (Abeokuta) and died in 2001 Secretary to Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Registrar, Uni-Ibadan Chairman, Nigeria National Antiques Commission and Nigerian Textile Mills, Editorial board, Encyclopedia Africana.
JACOB FESTUS ADENIYI AJAYI (1972-78)—
Born May 26, 1929 (Ekiti) – August 9, 2014.
Dean of arts, Uni-Ibadan.
Deputy VC, Uni-Ibadan
Constructed Queen Amina, Moremi and king Jaja Hall in 1973.
BABATUNDE KWAKU ADADEVOH (1978-1980)— Physician
Born Oct, 1933 (Lagos)-Oct. 5, 1997
1st director and secretary, medical research
council of Nigeria. 1st editor-in-chief of the Nigerian Journal of Medical sciences
Secretary, Nigeria Medical Council Board
AKINPELU OLUDELE ADESOLA (1981-1988)—
Born Nov. 6, 1927-May 29, 2010
NURUDEEN OLADAPO ALAO (1988-1995)—
JELILI ADEBISI OMOTOLA, S.A.N. (O.O.N)
Born April 20, 1941 (Ogun)-March 29, 2006
OYEWUSI IBIDAPO OBE (2000-2002, AG. VC)
Born July 5, 1951 (Osun)
Proscribed the ULSUG in 2005
TOLU OLUKAYODE ODUGBEMI (2007-2010)—
Born Jan. 30, 1945 (Ondo)
Chairman, Nigerian Association of College of
President/Chairman, Board of National
Postgraduate Medical College.
BABATUNDE ADETOKUNBO SOFOLUWE (JAN.31,
2010-MAY 2012)—Mathematical Scientist
Born April 15, 1950-May 2012.
Dean of Science, UNILAG
Deputy VC, UNILAG (Management)
Director, Academic Planning Unit.
Professor Jerry Gana.
VICE CHANCELLOR/CHIEF EXECUTIVE;
Professor Rahman Ade Bello (Nov. 2012-date) —
Born Oct, 1948 (Ogun)
Acting VC (May 2012-Nov 2012)
DEPUTY VC (ACADEMIC & RESEARCH)
Professor Babajide Alo
DEPUTY VC (MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
Professor Duro Oni
TO THE COUNCIL
Dr. Mrs. Taiwo Folashade Ipaye
THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN
Dr. Mrs. Olukemi Adebimpe Fadehan
THE UNIVERSITY BURSAR
Mr. Lateef Odekunle.